This week, we were named one of Nashville Business Journal's 2017 Best Places to Work!
We couldn't be more honored by the award, and as much as we hate a humble-brag, we have to give a shout-out to the folks who made it happen: Just as we try as a business to give our customers the absolute best experience around, our leadership, talent, and operations teams do the same for Emma employees.
Through the years, they've crafted an office environment that fuels creativity, productivity, and good, old-fashioned teamwork. At Emma, "being a team player" isn't just a cliché; it's a fundamental part of our day-to-day experience. With 180 people and counting, we’d like to think we still operate like a start-up (well, the good parts of a start-up), with all the fast-paced, cross-team collaboration you’d imagine.
As for the non-work part of work?
Emma gives us all a ton of opportunities to plug into the local community and give back to the causes we care about. A quick sampling:
- We award free lifetime service to 25 nonprofits through the Emma 25 program.
- We run a biweekly Meals on Wheels route for a local community center, where we also build a haunted house each Halloween for the kids.
- Emma staffers get $250 each to donate to a 501(c)(3) the month of their Emmaversary.
How Emma takes care of us
In addition to all the great traditional stuff like insurance, vacation days, 401Ks and the like, we get a few awesome extras:
- Who likes working on their birthday? Not us. So we don’t have to.
- Deeply discounted gym memberships for all (to counteract the Emma 15 every new employee puts on due to all the food floating around)
- Free bikes for us to ride somewhere for lunch or just hop on the nearby greenway for a break
- Relaxed dress code in the sweet spot somewhere between Wall Street and slumber party chic
- An annual talent show where we show off skills of the non-email variety and an annual holiday party where we show off skills of the eating and drinking variety
Our favorite perk? Emma offers a month-long (paid!) sabbatical to a staffer once they’ve been here for five years. Whether it's biking along the Rhine in Germany, taking improv classes in NYC or going off the grid to work on a mountain cabin, it's a chance to leave work behind for a month, explore something new and come back recharged and ready to do great work.
As staffers, we truly feel like Emma is THE best place to work – not just in Nashville, but worldwide.
About the Author
McKenzie Gregory is the content marketing manager on Emma’s marketing team. A Nashville native, she can be found covering all things email on the Emma blog, debating hyphenation rules, and watching obscene amounts of Netflix without a trace of shame.Follow on Twitter More Content by McKenzie Gregory