See stats from our 2018 Email Marketing Industry Report
We recently released the second edition of our annual email marketing industry report. This year, we wanted to know: In an industry hungry for the latest strategies—be it AI, live video, or chatbots—have we even mastered the fundamentals? And in particular, are marketers taking advantage of email as a marketing channel, utilizing tools like segmentation, automation, and testing to get the best possible ROI?
To give you a good picture of what we discovered, I've compiled every stat from the hefty report in this blog post. Be sure to check out the full 2018 Industry Report for details on our survey methodology and plenty of actionable takeaways from the data, but in the meantime, here are the stats!
2017 Marketing Industry Report Stats
• 59% of marketers see the most ROI from email.
• 25% of marketers plan to increase spending on email in the year to come.
• Just over two-thirds of marketers devote at least half of their time to current customers.
• 39% of marketers say they almost never personalize their emails.
• 21% of marketers say almost none of their emails are segmented.
• 53% of marketers never A/B test their emails.
• Over half of marketers haven't begun to use email automation.
• 58% of marketers say increasing sales or bringing in leads is their most important indicator of email success.
• 73% of marketers said they have no intention of adopting influencer marketing, live video, chatbots, AI, or machine learning in the coming year.
• 30% of B2B marketers plan to increase spending on email in the next year.
• 68% of B2B marketers said email is their most effective digital channel.
• 82% of B2B marketers said leads and sales are their most important measure of success.
• Only 47% of B2B marketers are using email automation.
• 45% of restaurant marketers see the most ROI from email, while 45% see the most ROI from social.
• 64% of restaurant marketers devote less than a tenth of their time to email marketing.
• 64% of restaurant marketers work on a team of 5 or fewer.
• 53% of university marketers say email marketing generates the most ROI.
• 73% of university marketers say they plan to increase spending on email in the next year.
• 63% of university marketers aren't A/B testing their emails.
• 68% of university marketers aren't automating emails.
• 58% of university marketers work on a team of 5 or fewer.
• 63% of university marketers said engagement is their ultimate measure of success.
About the Author
McKenzie Gregory is a senior content manager on Emma’s marketing team. A Nashville native, she can be found covering all things email on the Emma blog, debating hyphenation rules, and watching obscene amounts of Netflix without a trace of shame.Follow on Twitter More Content by McKenzie Gregory