It’s email. I know you’re shocked, SHOCKED, that an email marketing company is singing that tune. But don’t just take our word for it. The latest research and stats are also beating the drum that email not only drives big time results, but it also gives you the most bang for your buck. Now that's music to any marketer’s ears.
Here’s what we found...
1. Email has a massive reach.
• Email is the #1 activity on the internet – even over using a search engine. It’s also the #1 activity on mobile devices (Marketing Growth Strategies, Litmus).
• The average office worker checks their email 30 times an hour (B2B Marketing Insider).
• The total number of worldwide email accounts is expected to increase to over 5.2 billion accounts by 2018 – a growth of more than 26% (Radicati Group).
• 72% of consumers say that email is their favored conduit of communication with companies they do business with. 61% say they like to receive promotional emails weekly and 28% want them even more frequently (MarketingSherpa).
2. Email is super effective.
• Email marketing has been cited as the most effective digital channel for customer retention (Gigaoam Research).
• When asked which medium consumers would like to receive updates, 90% preferred an email newsletter (Nielsen Norman Group).
• Email is 40x more successful at acquiring new clients than either Facebook or Twitter (McKinsey & Company).
• 40% of B2B marketers rated the leads generated by email marketing as extremely high quality (Software Advice Survey).
3. Email boasts an incredible ROI.
• Email yields an average 4300% ROI for businesses in the US – double that of any other digital channel (Direct Marketing Association).
• 55% of companies generate more than 10% of sales from email alone (Econsultancy).
• 81% of US online shoppers are more likely to make purchases, either online or in a store, as a result of emails based on previous shopping behaviors and preferences (Harris Interactive).
• 66% of online consumers have made a purchase as a result of an email – a higher conversion rate than social, direct mail and more (Direct Marketing Association).
Bonus: Email is easy to track and measure.
• A well-structured marketing campaign should be measurable and objective. Unlike many other marketing strategies, email generates easily traceable and measurable results.
• With email, you can track exactly what people are opening and clicking, helping you better cater your content and offerings to your audience’s needs and interests.
• Because email marketing is so measurable and easy to improve from one send to the next, there are a whole bunch of ways to test, assess and optimize each message before it goes out – all without spending an extra dime.
The numbers don’t lie. Email is #1 when it comes to boosting engagement, revenue and epic team parties for a job well done (just us?).
Can't get enough stats like these? Check out 18 Must-Know Stats for Modern Email Marketers!
About the Author
McKenzie Gregory is a content writer on Emma’s marketing team. A Nashville native, she can be found covering all things email on the Emma blog, debating hyphenation rules, and watching obscene amounts of Netflix without a trace of shame.Follow on Twitter More Content by McKenzie Gregory